Salwar Kameez started as an alternative dress form in Kashmir and Punjab, it has grown in popularity all over India and in all the Muslim countries of the world, especially with younger women. With Celebrities like Goldie hawn, Sally field, Hillary Clinton, Jennifer Lopez and the Late Princess Diana adorning the Salwar Kameez at high profile events, this garment is the clearly the current flavour in the West. Shalwar Kameezs are pajama-like trousers gathered at the waist and ankles, worn underneath a long, loose tunic known as a kameez.
::Some tips on Salwar Kameez::
* The kameez should be a little longer in height. It makes you look taller. If your height is around 5 feet 3 inches then your kameez height should be around 47- 48 inches.
* If you have broad shoulders then avoid wearing puffed sleeves.
* If you have fat arms and therefore cannot wear sleeveless then go in for sleeves of about 5 inches length. This will hide the flab on your arms and your hands will look thinner.
* Salwar Kameez can be worn in many styles. Styles keep changing with Trends. Recently big bottoms were in fashion and now short Kurtas Are back in vogue.
* Chudidar looks good on long kameezs or Kurtas. Avoid wearing them on short Kurtas. Chinese collar (closed neck) makes you look tall, but avoid it if you have broad shoulders.
* Wear a Salwar Kameez around your naval area, as it will pull in your stomach.
* If you have the tie strings on your side, it reduces the look of the paunch.
* Tucks might be out of fashion but they give a very good cut to the Kameez.
* Avoid Organza or any stiff cloth if you want to look slimmer.
* Dark colours like maroon, red, blue or brown look very good on dark women.
Basic Tips on Salwar Kameez fashion
* Using colour to balance your body is a great idea. Wear light colours where you re small and dark colours where larger. For example, if you have large hips, wear dark skirts or pants and a light coloured blouse. Wearing set-in sleeves with shoulder pads will help you to balance wide hips. The shoulder pads will add to your shoulders therefore balancing with your hips.
* Don’t choose clothes that are too tight. Clothes that fit well will make you appear slimmer while tight clothes will only add pounds.
* Wear tops or dresses that have a scoop neckline with half or long sleeves to hide heavy arms and draw attention to the face and neck.
* Clothes in solid colours with simple lines will make you appear taller.
* Always break in new shoes before wearing them out for a special occasion.
* Wear straight silhouettes in a solid colour to hide a thick waist.
* The skinner the stripe, the thinner you appear.
* Don’t wear black on a hot day or at a wedding.
* A straight cut skirt and full leg pants will hide large thighs.
* To appear shorter, jackets or tops should fall below the hips.
* To lengthen your legs wear slim, straight leg pants.
* To appear taller and thinner, try a pinstripe suit.
* Long sleeves should hit just at the wrist bone.
* When you are wearing a white shirt, wear a bra close to your skin colour.
* To hide wide hips, try an a-line style dress.
* Give a new updated look to an old blouse or jacket by sewing on new buttons.
* Pleats add pounds. If you want to look larger through the hips, wear pleats. If you don’t, avoid pleats! · If clothes don’t fit, have them altered. If they don’t fit, they’ll remain in the closet.
* One of the biggest trends for spring is denim. You can find it in skirts, shorts, jeans, jackets, and shirts and even kurtas.
* These are the basics measurements you need to find your correct bra size. With a measuring tape, measure around the torso at the underarm level and under the breasts. If the number is odd, add one to it. For example, if your measurement is 35, your bra size will be 36. Next, measure around your bust at its fullest part. Subtract the bra size from this number.
* Pin a safety pin to the inside of your slacks in case of an emergency. If a button comes off or the zipper breaks you will be prepared.
* Are your zippers sticking? Rub them with a lead pencil and they will slide smoothly.
When you buy an everyday item, try to think of at least three things you already own that you can wear with that item.
* Choose your accessories wisely. Accessories can completely change the look of an outfit.
Women with larger hips should choose jeans that are generously cut through the hips with a flared leg.
* When losing weight, don’t wait to choose wardrobe pieces. Choose pieces that will camouflage problem areas.
MY FASHION ADVICE:
We gives you a brief idea of what goes with each type of body shape
Broad Shoulders Wide necklines, short sleeves and light fabrics help to visually reduce broad shoulders
Big Bust line Never wear V-necks and scoop necks as they emphasise the chest size. High Necks work well, combined with full sleeves they work even better.
Small Bust line Empire Basques, V-Necks and bulkier fabrics create an illusion of a fuller bust line.
Heavy Arms Always wear sleeves that are not fitted yet follow the body line. Avoid heavy and thick fabrics.
Heavy Hips It is important not to wear fitted, short garments that emphasise your hips. Instead wear moderately loose and longer lengths in thicker fabrics to give a longer and leaner look
Rule.No.1 : Accentuate your positives!
When searching for clothes, look for sari blouses or tops that enhance your facial features and chest area (but not in a trashy way). Choose flattering colours for your skin tone and accessories (jewellery and hair accessories) that direct a viewer’s attention away from those features that you are self-conscious about.
Rule.No.2 : Conceal the negatives!
Avoid clothes that draw attention to what you feel are your negative features. For instance, avoid clothing that is too tight — that will overemphasis your features such as tight jeans or lycra tops, light coloured pants / skirts, especially if you favour dark tops. A general rule to follow is the rule that your tops should not be darker than your bottoms. Especially if you are well endowed in the hip area.
Another good rule is, at the very least, you should match colours of tops and bottoms. If not, draw attention to the upper waist area by wearing dark coloured (not necessarily black) pants / skirts and vibrant coloured tops, with or without prints.
Rule No. 3 : Come out of hiding!
Get rid of those clothes that make you feel the most frumpy! Eliminate restricting sari blouses, and baggy pants and T-shirts from your wardrobe! These things tend to draw attention to your physical shape and only serve to make you feel more self-conscious. A more open collared top, maybe a V-neck or a crew neck. Tops that reveal a little shoulder, can make you feel 10 times better.
It opens up the area around your face, so that even without makeup, you can feel sexy. If you must have something concealing your neck, try a scarf. Scarves have a tendency to draw attention away from those negative spots and allow others to focus on your beautiful smile. In fact, the shorter the scarf (just slightly bigger than a handkerchief), the foxier you will look and feel. Try sheer / print scarves…very soft and feminine.
Rule No. 4 : If it makes you feel frumpy…don’t wear it!
If you feel self-conscious, you can’t feel comfortable and much less, sexy. First of all — find a style you are comfortable with. If you wear Salwar Kamee (which one admits are very comfortable), forget fabrics with writing, etc., on them. Find fabrics with solid colours or with complimentary patterns on them. The kameez should be long enough to cover those ‘trouble spots’. When choosing a style, they should not be constricting or too clingy. There should still be room to breathe, although not too baggy.
Rule No. 5 : Take your time and take a friend
When shopping, take the time to try on clothes before you leave the store. Take a friend along who can be objective in helping you find clothes to compliment your shape. If ‘sexy’ or ‘foxy’ is what you’re looking for, why not bring your spouse along? Put on a little fashion show in the changing booth area for your significant other. Who said shopping should not be fun for your other half.
An understanding and loving partner will be supportive and may aid you in finding outfits (party clothes, lingerie) that you feel comfortable in and that you both find sexy. Once again…be honest with yourself. If it makes you feel frumpy, don’t buy it! Don’t waste your valuable fashion money, and valuable closet space on clothes that you wear once and then never again. Take your time.
Keep in mind, no matter what your size, clothing should be functional, yet comfortable. Your clothes should compliment you. Don’t be afraid to experiment a little…a print here, a little bright colour there…Pastels look good on just about anyone. They give your shape a softer look, regardless of your size. You don’t have to look frumpy anymore! Wear clothes that make you feel comfortable, but accentuate your positives and conceal your negatives.
TheHeer on Fashion Flaws
You will be considered beautiful not only by your features but by the way you dresses, by the way you present yourself, by your confidence and your style. If you have mastered all these then you have a very lethal combination and you will be able to rule the world by your beauty and charm. However we often make certain fashion mistakes which though according to us doesn’t matter but infect these mistakes affect your sense of fashion and style immensely.
Wearing the Wrong Colours
This is one of the biggest fashion mistakes that you can commit. Just remember one thing that all colours don’t suit your skin tone. The colour that looks great on your colleague or the actress you saw in the soap might not look great on you. Infact it might look the contrary. Therefore you have to learn to recognise which colour suits you and also the profession to which you are associated. Experiment with different colours and stick with the palettes that look best on you, regardless of what’s hot and happening. Don’t waste your money on clothes that make you look pale and ugly.
Proper Makeup is an important aspect of fashion. For every occasion you require an appropriate makeup i.e., light for day, heavier for evening, sheer for sports etc. You wear different clothes for different activities in you life; similarly your makeup should change as per occasion.
Rundown foot wears
You will look complete only if you are dressed appropriately from top to bottom. Therefore even your shoes should be appropriate for the occasion and should go with your dress. Don’t wear shabby, unpolished and rundown shoes. Polish them regularly. Use a felt tip marker on scuffs, and put a piece of soft carpet under your feet when you drive. And most importantly, invest in a good pair if you’re going to wear them every day. Spend on your shoes that will give you comfort and will look great on you.
Dont Wear a size too small
If it doesn’t fit, don’t wear it. Squeezing into a size that is too tight for you may feed your vanity, but it will make you appear overfed to everyone else. If the dress you are wearing is not comfortable and you cant sit or walk properly then it is not going to make you feel beautiful at all and you are definitely not going to look your best. Then why put yourself through that kind of torture? Find clothes that fit or have them tailored to fit and look your best.
Visible bra lines
Make sure your bra fits you properly. It is very embarrassing if your bra’s show or it rides up in the back. Similarly get bra’s that fit you properly. If your breasts sag then it’s very clear that you are not using proper bra and it’s time to seek professional help.
Slips that show
The next fashion mistake will be letting your slip show from under your skirt. Don’t use the same slip for all dresses coz it might not be proper for all. Buy slips in several lengths and replace them once the elastic wears. For the most discreet linings, buy slips in the colours you wear most often, like black, navy, beige, and white.
There are some people who smell terrible despite using good perfumes. Drink plenty of water and eat lots of fresh fruits and green salads. Buy deodorant that works with your body. You may have to try a few to find the best one for you, and you may need to change every now and again if your chemistry changes, like after having a baby, starting new medication, going through menopause, or the like.
Broken nails, chipped polish
Manicure is a must. Keep your nails clean and evenly trimmed. Always have clippers and a nail file in your purse and desk at work for emergencies. If you’re in a business environment, stick with conservative nail polish colours at work and save the sparkly/neon/funky looks for weekends and vacations. Don’t grow your nails too long if you are working. If you’re in a business environment, stick with conservative nail polish colours at work and save the sparkly/neon/funky looks for weekends and vacations. Don’t grow your nails too long if you are working.
Dressing Up Tips
Dressing up consumes a lot of time because it is confusing and mind-boggling. Sometimes it is very difficult to decide upon what to wear for a particular occasion and whether what we are wearing looks good on us or not. When we are dressing ourselves, we must learn the basic principle of dressing up, and that is to keep a sense of our own personal style apparent. Otherwise, we will feel made up or unattractive, because we are trying to duplicate someone else’s look, instead of learning to develop our own sense of style that best suits our body frame, clothing preferences and personality.
To know what type of dress and what style will look great on you first and foremost you have to know your body shape so that you are able to choose your dressing style appropriately. Following listed are the various body shapes along with their characteristics and best style suited for them. So evaluate your body shape and just follow the basic rules of dressing up and remember to create good balance from top to bottom.
A-Frame Dressing up
An A-frame body is one, which is narrower at the top half and wider at the lower hip and upper thigh area. The legs are usually heavier and shorter and weight gain is mostly in the upper thighs. Women with this kind of body shape should make their body look proportionate by widening the shoulders. It can be achieved by choosing garments with shoulder pads or sleeve detailing.
V-Frame Dressing up
A V-frame body is one, which is wider at the bust and the shoulders appear to be wider than the hips. Bust is usually large with a shorter torso and high waist. The legs appear thin and the tummy becomes more prominent than the whole body. This frame should be balanced by widening the hip and upper leg area. Choosing garments that have width and fullness in the skirt or pants.
H-Frame Dressing up
A H-frame body appears to be straight up and down. The legs are longer and thighs and belly are usually flat. The bust is average to large and weight gain is usually through the middle. This frame should be balanced by creating the illusion of a smaller waist. This can be accomplished by choosing either a bloused garment with a flared skirt and belted waist, or a straight garment like a chemise dress.
Frame Dressing up
8-frame figure is the perfect figure and it is perfectly balanced figure. Bust is full; waist is small, with average length and hips are perfectly shaped. The whole body is perfectly balanced and weight gain is distributed evenly. This frame should emphasize the waist and avoid cluttering the figure with lots of clothes and layering. Choose garments that fit the body and identify the waist.